Clayhidon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Alternative names: Clay Lidon, Cleyhidon
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1637
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1617
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Dunkeswell Abbey
- West Buckland
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CLAYHIDON, or Cleyhidon, a parish in the district of Wellington and county of Devon; on the river Culm and at the boundary with Somerset, 6 miles E of Tiverton-Junction r. station, and 9 NE by E of Collumpton. Post-town, Culmstock, under Wellington, Somerset. Acres, 5,089. Real property, £5,204. Pop., 705. Houses, 137. The property is much subdivided. The surface rises, in lofty hills, from the river Culm to the watershed of the Black Downs. Two estates, Culm-Pyne, and Old Culm-Pyne, lie isolated within Hemyock. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £508. Patron, G. Burnaud, Esq. The church belongs to the 14th century; consists of nave, north aisle, and chancel, with western tower; and contains an ancient piscina and a very ancient font. There are a small Baptist chapel, and charities £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Wellington (Somerset)
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
Rural Deanery: Dunkeswell
Poor Law Union: Wellington