Clawton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1693
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- North Tamerton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CLAWTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Holsworthy district, Devon. The village stands near the rivulet Claw, 3 miles S of Holsworthy, and 13 N by W of Lifton r. station; and has a post office under Holsworthy, North Devon. The parish comprises 5,358 acres. Real property, £2,726. Pop., 549. Houses, 112. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the trustees of the late Sir William Molesworth. Court Barn is the seat of the Melhuish family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £64. Patron, W. W. Melhuish, Esq. The church was reported in 1859 as old and very bad. There are chapels for Methodists and Bible Christians. The sub-district contains four parishes and part of another. Acres, 16,990. Pop., 1,805. Houses, 358.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Holsworthy
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Holsworthy
Poor Law Union: Holsworthy
Hundred: Black Torrington