Churston Ferrers is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Devon, created in 1850 from chapelry in Brixham Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Galmpton and Glampton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1590
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHURSTON-FERRERS, a village and a parish in Totnes district, Devon. The village stands on the coast, near the Torquay and Dartmouth railway, 5 miles S of Torquay; has a railway station; and gives the title of Baron to the family of Yarde Buller. The parish includes also the hamlet of Galmpton; and its post town is Brixham, South Devon. Acres, 2,777; of which 250 are water. Real property, £3,498. Pop., 766. Houses, 145. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to the Ferrers; passed to the Yardes and the Bullers; and belongs now to Lord Churston of Churston-Ferrers, who was raised to the peerage in 1858. Churston Court is the seat of Lord Churston; and Galmpton House is the seat of the Luttrells. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Brixham, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is an ancient edifice, with a low tower There is a small Independent chapel at Galmpton. Charities, £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Totnes
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Ipplepen
Poor Law Union: Totnes