Churchstow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Venn.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1539
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHURCHSTOW, a village and a parish in Kingsbridge district, Devon. The village stands near the river Avon, 2 miles NW by N of Kingsbridge, and 7½ S of Kingsbridge Road r. station; and has a post office under Kingsbridge. The parish contains also Venn hamlet and the Kingsbridge workhouse. Acres, 1,877. Real property, with Diptford, North Huish, Kingsbridge, and Dodbrooke, £12,586. Pop., 376. Houses, 53. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to P. S. Lowe, Esq. Leigh, an ancient mansion, now used as a farm-house, belonged to the Hayes, the Oldhams, and the Bickfords. The living is a vicarage, united with Kingsbridge, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £200. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient; consists of nave, chancel, north transept, and south aisles; and was restored in 1849.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Kingsbridge
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Woodleigh
Poor Law Union: Kingsbridge