Churchstanton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Alternative names: Church Stanton
Other places in the parish include: Churchenfort, Red Lane, Stapley, and Burnworthy.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1662
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- West Buckland
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHURCH-STANTON, a parish in the district of Taunton and county of Devon; on the verge of the county, under the Black Down hills, 6½ miles SE of Wellington r. station, and 10 NNE of Honiton. It is divided into the portions of Churchenfort, Burnworthy, Red Lane, and Stapley; and it contains the post office of Churchenfort, under Honiton. Acres, 4,980. Real property, £4,524. Pop., 961. Houses, 204. The property is much subdivided. Otterhead, an early Tudor mansion, is the seat of W. Beadon, Esq. Very fine iron ore exists; and appears, from many remains of works, to have been anciently smelted. Numerous barrows and indications of Roman works are seen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £421. Patron, the Rev. H. Edwards, jun. The church is ancient; consists of nave, chancel, south aisle, and western tower; and contains a carved oaken pulpit and a very ancient font. There are small chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and charities, £11. Salkeld, a theological writer of the time of James II., was rector.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Taunton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
Rural Deanery: Dunkeswell
Poor Law Union: Taunton