Chivelstone is a chapelry of Stokenham Ancient Parish in Devon.
Other places included in the parish: Allington, East Prawle, Ford, Prawle
Parish church: St. Sylvester
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers:
- Bishop’s Transcripts:
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHIVELSTONE, a village and a parish in Kingsbridge district, Devon. The village stands near Start bay, 5¼ miles SE of Kingsbridge, and 14 S of Brent r. station; and has a post office under Kingsbridge. The parish includes also the hamlets of Ford, Allington, and Prawle; and extends southward to the sea, between Start and Prawle points. Acres, 2,806; of which 110 are water. Real property, with South Poole and East Portlemouth, £8,096. Pop., 523. Houses, 112. The manor belongs to T. Newman, Esq.; but most of the property to N. Pitts, Esq. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Stokenham, in the diocese of Exeter. The church stands conspicuously on a hill; is ancient; was not long ago repaired; and contains a carved screen, and a pulpit formed out of one block of wood. There is a small Independent chapel at Ford.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Kingsbridge
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Woodleigh
Poor Law Union: Kingsbridge