Charleton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon. Buckland Tout Saints is a chapelry of Charleton.
Other places in the parish include: Frogmore, Lidstone, Goveton, and Gaveton.
Alternative names: Charleton with Buckland Tout Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Plymouth Brethren, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Buckland Tout Saints
- South Pool
- West Alvington
- East Allington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHARLETON, a village and a parish in Kingsbridge district, Devon. The village stands on a sea-creek, 2 miles SSE of Kingsbridge, and 11 S by E of Kingsbridge Road r. station; and is a straggling place, in two parts, called East and West. The parish includes also the hamlets of Goveton, Lidstone, and part of Frogmore Post Town, Kingsbridge. Acres, 2,779; of which 400 are water. Real property, with Sherford, £7,451. Pop., 568. Houses, 127. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £522. Patron, Mrs. J. Twysden. The church is ancient; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with a tower; and has an ancient carved screen.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Kingsbridge
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Woodleigh
Poor Law Union: Kingsbridge