Other places included in the parish: Haytown
Parish: Abbots Bickington
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1709; see also Abbots Bickington
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1675
- Bible Christian Methodist
- Buckland Brewer
- Newton St Petrock
- East Putford
- West Putford
- Abbots Bickington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BULKWORTHY, a parish in Bideford district, Devon; on the river Torridge, 7 miles SW by W of Great Torrington, and 9 SSW of Bideford r. station. Post Town, Buckland-Brewer, under Bideford. Acres, 1,115. Real property, £613. Pop., 128. Houses, 28. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the family of Rolle. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Buckland-Brewer, in the diocese of Exeter. The church was built by Lord Chief Justice Hackford.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Bulkworthy, a chapelry, in the parish of Buckland-Brewer, union of Bideford, hundred of Shebbear, Great Torrington and N. divisions of Devon, 7½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Great Torrington; containing 196 inhabitants.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Fully searchable online newspapers
Western Morning News
Exeter and Plymouth Gazette
North Devon Journal
Express and Echo
Civil Registration District: Bideford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Holsworthy
Poor Law Union: Bideford
18 Aug 1882 Sanders Meadow transferred to East Putford Chapelry/Civil Parish
25 Mar 1885 gained part of Frithelstock Parish