Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1668
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1609
- Plympton St Maurice
- Newton Ferrers
- Plympton St Mary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRIXTON, a village and a parish in Plympton-St.-Mary district, Devon. The village stands near the river Yealm, 3 miles SSW of Plympton r. station, and 4½ ESE of Plymouth; and it has a post office under Plympton, and is a seat of petty sessions. Acres, 2,914 of land, and 85 of water. Real property, £5,402. Pop., 691. Houses, 139. The property is divided among a few. The manor was long held by a family of its own name; and belongs now to T. W. Parrott, Esq. Remains of a mansion of the time of Henry VII. are at Harestone. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £107. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is decorated English, with a lofty tower, and in good condition. Charities, £50.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Plympton St Mary
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Plympton
Poor Law Union: Plympton St Mary