Bridgerule is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1702
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- North Tamerton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRIDGERULE, a parish in Holsworthy district, Devon; on the river Tamar and the Bude canal, 4½ miles E by S of Holsworthy, and 16 SW by S of Bideford r. station. It has a post office under Holsworthy. Acres, 3,219. Real property, £2,325. Pop., 410. Houses, 87. A part comprising 1,010 acres, is on the right side of the Tamar, and was formerly in Cornwall. The manor was given, by William the Conqueror, to Reginald Adobed, abbreviated Ruald or Rule Adobed; and it is named jointly from him and from a bridge over the Tamar. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £150. Patron, the Rev. S. N. Kingdon. The church is variously early English and debased; and is in a very dilapidated state, but has a good porch. There is a chapel for Bible Christians.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Holsworthy
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Holsworthy
Poor Law Union: Holsworthy
Hundred: Black Torrington