Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1673
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
- Wesleyan Methodist
- High Bray
- Stoke Rivers
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRATTON-FLEMING, a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon; on an affluent of the river Taw, 6 miles NE of Barnstaple r. station. Post Town, Sherwell, under Barnstaple. Acres, 5,845. Real property, £5,542. Pop., 686. Houses, 134. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Fleming family; passed to the Dillons; and belongs now to Sir Arthur Chichester. Part of the surface is hilly. Six standingstones occur at Nightascott, and are supposed to have been part of a Druidical circle. The parish is a meet for the North Devon hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £551. Patron, Caius College, Cambridge. The church is perpendicular English; consists of nave, chancel, and north aisle, with a tower; and was restored in 1861. There is a small Baptist chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Barnstaple
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
Rural Deanery: Shirwell
Poor Law Union: Barnstaple