Brampford Speke is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Cowley and Cowley Bridge.
Alternative names: Bramford Speke
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1739
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Baptist
- Upton Pyne
- Nether Exe
- Exeter St David
- Exeter St Thomas
- Newton St Cyres
- Stoke Canon
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRAMPFORD-SPEKE, a village and a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon. The village stands on the river Exe, near the Bristol and Exeter railway, 4 miles N of Exeter; and has a post office under Exeter. The parish includes also the hamlet of Cowley-Bridge. Acres, 1,642. Real property, £3,200. Pop., 494. Houses, 87. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the family of Espek or Speke; and belongs now to Sir S. H. Northcote, Bart. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Cowley, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £216. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is very ancient; consists of nave, north aisle, chancel, and south chapel, with western square tower; and has been completely restored. Charities, £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: St Thomas
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
Rural Deanery: Cadbury
Poor Law Union: St Thomas