Blackawton Devon Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish

Other places in the parish include: Blackpool

Alternative names: Blackauton

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1538
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

  • Slapton
  • Dittisham
  • Moreleigh
  • Halwell
  • Strete
  • East Allington
  • Stoke Fleming
  • Cornworthy

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BLACKAWTON, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Kingsbridge, Devon. The village stands 4 miles W of Dartmouth, and 6 S by W of Totnes r. station; and has a post office under Totnes. The parish includes Street chapelry, and extends to the coast. Acres, 5,646; of which 60 are water. Real property, with East Allington, £11,644. Pop., 1,229. Houses, 252. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Street, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £122. Patron, Sir H. P. Seale, Bart. The church is perpendicular English; and contains a carved oak pulpit and screen, and several neat monuments. The chapel at Street is an erection of 1836; and there are Wesleyan chapels at the village and at Street, and charities £16. The subdistrict comprises three parishes. Acres, 12,408. Pop., 2,571. Houses, 538.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Ancestry - Census & Voter Lists Birth, Marriage & Death Military Immigration & Emigration Directories & Member Lists Court, Land, Wills & Financial

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Devon
Civil Registration District: Kingsbridge
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Diocese: Exeter
Rural Deanery: Totnes
Poor Law Union: Kingsbridge
Hundred: Coleridge
Province: Canterbury