TORRINGTON (Black), a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Devon. The village stands on the river Torridge, 8½ miles E by N of Holsworthy r. station; and has a post-office under Highampton, North Devon. The parish contains also four hamlets, and comprises 7,200 acres. Real property, £3,836. Pop., 1,020-Houses, 216. The property is much subdivided. Glove-making is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £610. Patron, Lord Poltimore. The church was built in 1535. There are a Bible Charistian chapel, a national school, and some charities. The sub-district contains 4 parishes, and is in Holsworthy district. Acres, 16,804. Pop., 1,970. Houses, 404. The hundred contains 34 parishes and 3 parts. Acres, 145,202. Pop. in 1851, 19,912; in 1861, 18,295. Houses, 3,660.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
County: Devon Civil Registration District: Holsworthy Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes Diocese: Exeter Rural Deanery: Holsworthy Poor Law Union: Holsworthy Hundred: Black Torrington Province: Canterbury