Bishopsteignton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Alternative names: Bishops Teignton, Teignton Episcopi
Other places in the parish include: Coombe and Luton.
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Bible Christian Methodist, Plymouth Brethren, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Bishopsteignton
- East Teignmouth
- West Teignmouth
- St Nicholas
- Combe in Teignhead
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BISHOPS-TEIGNTON, a village and a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon. The village stands on the river Teign, near the South Devon railway, 2 miles W by S of Teignmouth; and has a post office under Teignmouth. The parish includes also the hamlets of Coombe and Luton. Acres, 4,748; of which 365 are water. Real property, £7,598. Pop., 974. Houses, 219. The property is divided among three. The manor of Bishops-Teignton belongs to the Comyns family; that of Luton to Lord Clifford. A mansion and a sanctuary were built in the parish by Bishop Grandison; and remains of the former exist in a barn at Radaway. The living is a vicarage, united till 1866 with Luton channel., in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £215. Patron, the Rev. W. R. Ogle. The parish church is a neat Gothic edifice of nave, chancel, and aisles, with a tower and spire, erected in 1815; and the church of Luton is a Gothic structure of nave and chancel. A school has an endowed income of £40, and other charities £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Teignton, Bishop's (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Newton-Abbot, hundred of Exminster, Teignbridge and S. divisions of Devon 1 ¾ mile (W. by N.) from West Teignmouth; containing 992 inhabitants. This place appears to have taken its name from a sanctuary or asylum built here by Grandison, Bishop of Exeter, and which was invested with great privileges and immunities, and considered as sacred and inviolable. He also erected a house with a chapel, “presaging what might in future time ensue to the great estate of the clergy, that his successors might have a place to lean and lay their heads unto if haply their temporalities should be seized;” and the remains are still to be seen. The parish is bounded by the river Teign, and comprises about 4000 acres of corn and pasture land; the surface is hilly; the grounds are well cultivated throughout, and there are extensive quarries of limestone, affording compact blocks of various-coloured marble. The living is a discharged vicarage, with West Teignmouth annexed, and valued in the king's books at £25. 8. 10.; net income, £458; patron and incumbent, the Rev. John Comyns. The impropriate tithes of Bishop's-Teignton have been commuted for £496, and the vicarial for £215. 7., with a glebe of 8 acres. The church, which has been lately entirely renovated and repewed, is principally in the Norman style, with an enriched western doorway in excellent preservation; near it are the remains of an ancient chapel, and there was formerly a chapel at Venn, in the parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Newton Abbot
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 - None, Post-1847 - Kenn
- Poor Law Union: Newton Abbot
- Hundred: Exminster
- Province: Canterbury