Ashford Devon Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish

Alternative names: Ashford by Barnstaple

Parish church: St. Peter

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1701
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1596

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Wesleyan Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

  • Heanton Punchardon
  • Pilton

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ASHFORD, a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon; on the north side of the estuary of the Taw, 2¼ miles NW of Barnstaple r. station. Post Town, Barnstaple. Acres, 359. Real property, £706. Pop., 157. Houses, 31. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £110. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was built in 1854, and is a neat small edifice, with low square tower and a spire.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Historical Newspapers

Western Morning News

Western Times

Exeter and Plymouth Gazette

North Devon Journal

Express and Echo

 

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Devon
Civil Registration District: Barnstaple
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
Diocese: Exeter
Rural Deanery: Barnstaple
Poor Law Union: Barnstaple
Hundred: Braunton
Province: Canterbury