Ashcombe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1732
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1609
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASHCOMBE, a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon; 3 miles E of Chudleigh, and 4½ NW of Dawlish r. station. It has a post office under Dawlish. Acres, 1,932. Real property, £1,957. Pop., 212. Houses, 41. The property is all in one estate; and about 500 acres are waste or wood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £222. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a small edifice, repaired and partly rebuilt in 1825; and has a square tower and a stained glass east window.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ASHCOMBE, a parish, in the union of St. Thomas, hundred of Exminster, Wonford and S. divisions of Devon, 2½ miles (E.) from Chudleigh; containing 297 inhabitants. This parish is situated near the sea-coast, and comprises 2000 acres, of which 500 acres of common and waste have recently been planted; the remainder is arable, pasture, and orchard: the soil is a red loam. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £18, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £242, and the glebe comprises 30 acres. The church, a cruciform structure in the early and decorated English styles, was dedicated 22nd Nov. 1259; it contains many ancient stalls of carved oak. During some recent repairs, part of an old breviary was found between the ceiling and the roof, written in the reign of Richard II.; it is now in the British Museum.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: St Thomas
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
Rural Deanery: Kenn
Poor Law Union: St Thomas