Ashbury Devon Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: None
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1610

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Beaworthy
  • Sourton
  • Northlew
  • Okehampton

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ASHBURY, anciently Essebury, a parish in Okehampton district, Devon; on an affluent of the river Torridge, 5 miles SSW of Hatherleigh, and 14 WSW of Morchard Road r. station. Post Town, North Lew under Exbourne, North Devon. Acres, 1,700. Real property, £748. Pop., 80. Houses, 9. The manor, with most of the property, belongs to the owner of Ashbury House, a large old residence in a well-wooded park. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £96. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a small old edifice, with nave, chancel, and tower.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Historical Newspapers

Western Morning News

Western Times

Exeter and Plymouth Gazette

North Devon Journal

Express and Echo

 

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Devon
Civil Registration District: Okehampton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Diocese: Exeter
Rural Deanery: Okehampton
Poor Law Union: Okehampton
Hundred: Black Torrington
Province: Canterbury