Arlington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1598
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ARLINGTON, a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon; near East Down, 6 miles NNE of Barnstaple r. station. It has a post office under Barnstaple. Acres, 2,535. Real property, £2,622. Pop., 219. Houses, 37. The manor belongs to the Chichester family, came into their possession in the time of Henry VII.; and Arlington Court, the family seat, is a very handsome edifice. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £272. Patron, Sir A. P. B. Chichester, Bart. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt a few years ago; is in the Gothic style, and contains many memorials of the Chichesters. Charities, £4.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ARLINGTON (St. James), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Sherwill, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 6¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Barnstaple; containing 206 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4000 acres, and is intersected by the river Yeo. Arlington Court, a spacious and handsome mansion in the Grecian-Doric style, is situated here. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £13. 18. 1½.; net income, £272; patron, J. P. Chichester, Esq. The church, which has lately been rebuilt by the patron, contains a beautiful monument in marble to one of the Carey family, and the figure of a female crowned.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Barnstaple
Probate Court: Pre-1848 – Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter, Post-1847 – Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
Rural Deanery: Shirwell
Poor Law Union: Barnstaple