Alphington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Parish registers begin: 1603
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Alphington
- Exeter St Leonard
- Exeter St Thomas
- Holcombe Burnell
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALPHINGTON, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of St. Thomas, Devon. The village stands near the South Devon railway and the river Exe, 1¾ mile S of Exeter; and has a post office under Exeter, and fairs on the Wednesday after 20 June and after 29 Sept. It was one of the headquarters of Fairfax’s army, in 1646. at the blockading of Exeter. The parish comprises 2,471 acres. Real property, £8,598. Pop., 1,250 Houses, 270. The property is divided among a few. The manor was acquired, in the reign of Richard II., by the family of the Earl of Devon; and the greater part of it continues still in their possession. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £987. Patron, the Rev. F. A. Savile. The church contains a Norman font with interlaced arches, scroll ornaments, and grotesque figures over the arches; has a red turretted tower in perpendicular English; and, excepting the south wall, is in good condition. Charities £29, and some poors’ cottages. The subdistrict comprises seven entire parishes and parts of two others. Acres 17,470. Pop., 4,097. Houses, 841.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alphington, 1 m. S. Exeter. P. 1286
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: St Thomas
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Kenn
- Poor Law Union: St Thomas
- Hundred: Wonford
- Province: Canterbury