The County of Devon


Devonshire Is bounded, North by the Irish Sea, East by Somerset and Dorsetshire, South by the English Channel, and West by Cornwall. It is 73 miles long, and 63 broad. It is divided into 31 Hundreds : — Axminster, Bampton, Black-Torrington, Braunton, Budleigh, Cliston, Coleridge, Collyton, Crediton, Ermington, Eiminster, Fremington, Halburton, Hartland, Hayririge, Haytor, Hemiock, Lyfton, South-Molton, St.Mary- Otiery, Plympton, Roborough, Shebbear, Sherwill, Stanborougb, Tavistock, Tawton and Winckley, Teignbridge, Tiverton, Witheridge, and Wonford. Rivers, — the Tamar, the Exe, the Taw, the Lad, the Oke, the Teem, the Torridge, and the Dart. It has 1 City, and 34 Market-Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Diocese or Exeter, and in the Western Circuit. It contains 2579 square miles, or 1,650,560 acres, and 465 parishes. Population, 533,460.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Devon Towns & Villages

Sheldon Devon – Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870


Last updated on February 18th, 2017

Sheldon, a parish in Honiton district, Devon; 6½ miles NNW of Honiton r. station. Post-town, Cullompton. Acres, 1,681. Real property, £1,298. Pop., 180. Houses, 34. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £250. Patron, J. Miles, Esq. The church is ancient. There is a parochial school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].