Woodville Derbyshire & Leicestershire Family History Guide

Woodville is an Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1847 from Ashby de la Zouch Ancient Parish (Leicestershire) and Hartshorne Ancient Parish; partly in Derbyshire and partly in Leicestershire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1846
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1847

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Swadlincote
  • Hartshorne
  • Ashby de la Zouch Holy Trinity
  • Church Gresley
  • Cole Orton
  • Seal
  • Normanton le Heath
  • Packington

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WOODVILLE, a chapelry in Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Hartshorn-parishes, Leicester; 3½ miles NW of Ashby-de-la-Zonch r. station. It was constituted in 1847; and it has a post-office under Burton-upon-Trent. Pop., 1,408. Houses, 259. The manor belongs to the Countess Loudoun. The manufacture of earthenware, fire-bricks, and sanitary ware is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £116. Patron, the Bishop of P. The church was built in 1846. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

England, Derbyshire, Church of England Parish Registers, 1537-1918

Administration

County: Leicestershire; Derbyshire
Civil Registration District: Ashby de la Zouch
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Leicester; Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Peterborough; Lichfield
Rural Deanery: Akeley; Repton
Poor Law Union: Ashby de la Zouch
Hundred: West Goscote; Repton and Gresley
Province: Canterbury