Sutton on the Hill is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Other places in the parish include: Thurvaston, Osleston and Cropper, Ash, and Osleton and Thurvaston.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1567
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Marston upon Dove
- Church Broughton
- Barton Blount
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SUTTON-ON-THE-HILL, a parish, with two townships and a hamlet, in the district of Burton-upon-Trent and county of Derby; 3½ miles NNE of Tutbury r. station, and 8 W by S of Derby. It has a post-office under Derby. Acres, 3,233. Real property, £4,597. Pop., 545. Houses, 108. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £225. Patron, the Rev. R. G. Buckston. The church, excepting the chancel, was rebuilt in 1864. A chapel of ease is at Osleston; and there are a national school, and charities £20.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Burton upon Trent
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Radbourne
Poor Law Union: Burton upon Trent