Sudbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1673
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1634
- Somersal Herbert
- Church Broughton
- Marston Montgomery
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SUDBURY, a village and a parish, in Derbyshire, and a sub-district partly also in Staffordshire, but all in Uttoxeter district. The village stands near the North Staffordshire railway, 5 miles E by S of Uttoxeter; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Derby. The parish comprises 3,603 acres. Real property, £6,795. Pop., 587. Houses, 100. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to Lord Vernon. The Hall is Tudor, and was the residence, in 1840-3, of the Dowager Queen Adelaide. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £747. Patron, Lord Vernon. The church is ancient but good; and has a memorial window to G. E. Anson, Esq., put up in 1850 by Queen Victoria. There are a national school, and charities £27. The sub-district includes three townships of Hanbury, and comprises 20,728 acres. Pop., 3,803. Houses, 771.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Parish Records – FamilySearch
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Uttoxeter
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Cubley
Poor Law Union: Uttoxeter