Stony Middleton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1743 from chapelry in Hathersage Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Middleton Stoney, Middleton Stony, Stoney Middleton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1715
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1663
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MIDDLETON-STONEY, a village and a chapelry in Hathersage parish, Derby. The village stands at the entrance of Middleton dale, on an affluent of the river Derwent, 3½ miles N by E of Hassop r. station, and 4½ N by E of Bakewell; is a very picturesque place, with some houses at the foot of cliffs, and others on successive ledges of steep rock; and has a post office under Sheffield, and a warm spring with baths. The spring is supposed to have been known and used by the Romans; was covered by erections of old date; and is now enclosed in baths rebuilt by the late Lord Denman. The chapelry comprises 1,310 acres. Real property, £2,191. Pop., 608. Houses, 132. The property is much subdivided. Stoney-Middleton House is the seat of Lord Denman. Middleton dale is a highly romantic glen. The rocks are chiefly limestone, and they abound in lead ore. Several lime-kilns are in the dale; and there are places for smelting ore and manufacturing barytes. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £110. Patron, the Vicar of Hathersage. The church was rebuilt in 1767; retains a tower of more ancient date; and has the form of an octagon. There are chapels for Presbytcrians and Wesleyans, an endowed school, and charities £20.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Derbyshire
- Civil Registration District: Bakewell
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Eyam
- Poor Law Union: Bakewell
- Hundred: High Peake
- Province: Canterbury