Staveley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Other places in the parish include: Woodthorpe, Poolsbrook, Mastin Moor, Inkersall, Hollingwood, Handley, and Barrow Hill.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Sutton cum Duckmanton
- Chesterfield St Mary and All Saints
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STAVELEY, a village, a township, and a parish, in Chesterfield district, Derby. The village stands near the Midland railway, 4 miles NE of Chesterfield; and has a post-office under Chesterfield, a r. station with telegraph, and a mechanics’ institute with library and reading room. The township comprises 6,682 acres. Real property, £27,548; of which £14,170 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3,998; in 1861, 6,831. Houses, 1,207. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of coal and iron works. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. The parish includes Great Barlow chapelry, and comprises 10,442 acres. Pop. in 1851, 4,634; in 1861, 7,513. Houses, 1,344. Ringwood Hall is the seat of R. Barrow, Esq. The Staveley coal and iron works employ upwards of 3,000 persons; and there are manufactories of spades and shovels, a brush manufactory, and corn, cake, and bone-mills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £706. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church was enlarged in 1864. The p. curacy of Barlow is a separate benefice. A chapel of ease is at Handley; an endowed hospital, with a chapel, is at Woodthorpe; and a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school, and charities £80 are at Staveley.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Derbyshire
- Civil Registration District: Chesterfield
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Staveley
- Poor Law Union: Chesterfield
- Hundred: Scarsdale
- Province: Canterbury