Spondon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SPONDON, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Shardlow district, Derbyshire. The village stands ½ a mile N of the Derby and Nottingham railway, and 2¾ E by S of Derby; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office‡ under Derby. The township comprises 2,830 acres. Real property, £8,807; of which £62 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,672; in 1861, 1,523. Houses, 333. The manor, with Locko Park, belongs to W. D. Lowe, Esq. S. Halland S. House are chief residences. The parish contains also Stanley chapelry, and comprises 4,300 acres. Pop. in 1861, 2,057. Houses, 442. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £260. Patron, W. D. Lowe, Esq. The church is decorated English, and has a tower and spire. The p. curacy of Stanley is a separate benefice. There are two Methodist chapels, an endowed school with £17 a year, and charities £169. The sub-district contains 5 parishes, and 3 parts. Pop., 7,238. Houses, 1,571.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Spondon Derbyshire Marriages 1653-1812 – UK Genealogy Archives
Parish Records – FamilySearch
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Shardlow
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Ockbrook
Poor Law Union: Shardlow