South Normanton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1540
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1664
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NORMANTON (South), a village and a parish in the district of Mansfield and county of Derby. The village stands 1½ mile W of the boundary with Notts, and 1½ ENE of Alfreton r. station; and has a post-office under Alfreton. The parish comprises 1,730 acres. Real property, £5,699; of which £1,567 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,340; in 1861, 1,805. Houses, 324. The increase of pop. arose partly from extension of the coal trade, and partly from the temporary presence of railway labourers. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the Revells; and, with Carnfield Hall, belongs now to T. Rad ford, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £375. Patron, the Rev. J. Bird. The church is of the 14th century, large and good; and has a pinnacled tower and an old font. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Derbyshire
- Civil Registration District: Mansfield
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Alfreton
- Poor Law Union: Mansfield
- Hundred: Scarsdale
- Province: Canterbury