Shirley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Other places in the parish include: Stydd.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1663
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1663
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Osmaston by Ashbourne
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHIRLEY, a township and a parish in Ashborne district, Derby. The township lies 4 miles SE of Ashborne r. station. Real property, £2,738. Pop., 301. Houses, 66. The parish includes two other townships, and comprises 3,560 acres. Post town, Brailsford, under Derby. Pop., 596. Houses, 128. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £179. Patron, Earl Ferrers. The church was repaired in 1842. The vicarage of Yeaveley is a separate benefice. There are two dissenting chapels and two national schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Ashbourne
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Cubley
Poor Law Union: Ashbourne