Shirland is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Alternative names: Shirland and Higham
Other places in the parish include: Hallfield and Higham.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1678
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHIRLAND, a village, a township, and a parish, in Chesterfield district, Derby. The village stands 2 miles SSE of Stretton r. station, and 2 N by W of Alfreton; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Alfreton. The township contains also Hallfield hamlet. Pop. in 1851, 851; in 1861, 1,048. Houses, 203. The parish includes also Higham township, and comprises 2,942 acres. Rated property, £5,357. Pop. in 1851, 1,268; in 1861, 1,426. Houses, 281. The property is subdivided. Framework-knitting is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £265. Patrons, rotationally R. Ramsden, Esq., B. B. Thompson, Esq., and Sir R. Tufton, Bart. The church was restored in 1848. There are two Wesleyan chapels, national schools, an endowed school with £25 a year, and charities £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shirland Derbyshire Marriages 1695-1837 - UK Genealogy Archives
Parish Records - FamilySearch
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Chesterfield
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Alfreton
Poor Law Union: Chesterfield