Scropton is an Ancient Parish mostly in Derbyshire and partly in Staffordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Needwood Forest, Broomhill, Foston, Foston and Scropton
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1680
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1665
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Scropton
- Hamstall Ridware
- Barton under Needwood
- Marston upon Dove
- Church Broughton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SCROPTON, a township and a parish in the district of Burton-upon-Trent and counties of Derby and Stafford. The township lies on the river Dove and on the North Staffordshire railway, 1¾ mile W by N of Tubury r.station, and 6½ N W of Burton-upon-Trent. Pop. of the Derby portion, 264; of the Stafford portion, 17. Houses, 57 and 3. The parish contains also the township of Foston, which has a post-office under Derby. Acres of the parish, 3,340. Real property, £6,589. Pop., 520. Houses, 106. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £80. Patron, J. Broadhust, Esq. The church was built in 1855. There are a free school, and charities £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records for Scropton, Staffordshire – Free
FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records for Scropton, Derbyshire – Free
County: Staffordshire and Derbyshire
Civil Registration District: Burton upon Trent
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Cubley
Poor Law Union: Burton upon Trent
Hundred: Staffordshire: North Offlow; Derbyshire: Appletree