Repton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire. Bretby is a chapelry of Repton.
Other places in the parish include: Milton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1579
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Newton Solney
- Ashby de la Zouch
- Twyford and Stenson
- Derby Hills
- Stanton by Bridge
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
REPTON, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Derby. The village stands on an affluent of the river Trent, 1¼ mile SE of Willington and Repton r. station, and 4¼ NE of Burton-upon-Trent; was known, in the Saxon times, as Hreopandune, Reppandune, and Repindon; was a seat of the Mercian kings; was afterwards a market-town; and now has a post-office under Burton-upon-Trent, and fairs on the third Monday of April and Nov. The parish contains also the chapelry of Bretby and the hamlet of Milton. Acres, 6,440. Real property, £12,207. Pop., 2,177. Houses, 444. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Sir R. Burdett, Bart., and Sir J. H. Crewe, Bart. R. Park and the Hayes are chief residences. A nunnery was founded here before 660; was the burial-place of Ethelbald I.; was burnt by the Danes in 873; and is believed to be represented by a curious extant crypt beneath the parish church. A black priory was founded on the site of the nunnery, in 1172, by Matilda, wife of Earl Ranulph; was given, at the dissolution, to the Thackers; and is represented by part of the buildings of the grammar school. A discovery was made, in Jan.1867, within the grammar school's grounds, of a structure supposed to have been used by the monks for the manufacture of encaustic tiles. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £140. Patron, Sir J. H. Crewe, Bart. The church is chiefly Norman, includes portions of later dates, and has a fine spire, 198 feet high. The donative of Bretby is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, an endowed grammar school, and charities £27. The school is a large building; had Lightfoot the Hebraist as an usher, and Shaw the Staffordshire historian, and Scott the translator of the "Arabian Nights," as pupils; is a conjoint institution with Etwall hospital; and has £2,569 a year from endowment, and two exhibitions of £50 a year at either Oxford or Cambridge. The sub-district contains also 7 other parishes, and parts of 3 others; and is in Burton-upon-Trent district. Acres, 27,430. Pop., 6,484. Houses, 1,280. The hundred bears the name of Repton and Gresley; and contains 22 parishes, and parts of 6 others. Acres, 55,938. Pop. in 1851, 21,800: in 1861, 23,859. Houses, 5,042.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Derbyshire parish registers. Marriages
by Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews, ed
Repton Derbyshire Marriages 1578 to 1837 - Archive.org
Repton Derbyshire Marriages 1578 to 1837 - UK Genealogy Archives
Parish Records - FamilySearch
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Burton upon Trent
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Hartshorn
Poor Law Union: Burton upon Trent
Hundred: Repton and Gresley