Pinxton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1673
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Fulwood, Nottinghamshire
- Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire
- Selston with Underwood and Westwood, Nottinghamshire
- South Normanton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PINXTON, a village and a parish in the district of Mansfield and county of Derby. The village stands adjacent to a branch of the Erewash canal, to the Mansfieldbranch of the Erewash Valley railway, and to the boundary with Notts, 3 miles E by S of Alfreton; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Alfreton. The parish comprises 1,210 acres. Real property, £4,876; of which £2,480 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 943; in 1861, 1,367. Houses, 262. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Brookhill Hall, belongs to the heir of the late D' Ewes Coke, Esq. Coal is extensively mined, and nails are made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £293. Patrons, the Trustees of the late D' Ewes Coke, Esq. The church stands on an eminence; consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; and contains tablets to the Cokes. There are two Methodist chapels, a parochial school, and charities £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Mansfield
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Alfreton
Poor Law Union: Mansfield