Packington is an Ancient Parish mostly in Leicestershire and partly in Derbyshire.
Other places in the parish include: Coalville and Snibston.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1677
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1575
Nonconformists include: General Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Ashby de la Zouch
- Cole Orton
- Normanton le Heath
- Ashby de la Zouch Holy Trinity
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PACKINGTON, a village and a parish in the district of Ashby-de-la-Zouch; the parish chiefly in Leicestershire, but partly in Derbyshire. The village stands ¾ of a mile E of the boundary with Derbyshire, and 1¼ S of Ashby-de-la-Zouch r. station; and has a post-office under Ashby-de-la-Zouch. The parish contains also the hamlet of Snibston, and part of the chapelry of Coalville; and comprises 2,020 acres in Leicestershire, and 340 in Derbyshire. Real property, £24,488; of which £18,502 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,294; in 1861, 1,190. Houses, 242. The decrease of pop. was caused by migration of colliers. Pop. of the Derbyshire portion, 252. Houses, 57. The manor belongs to Lady Edith Hastings. The land and collieries of Snibston belong to a colliery company. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £330. Patron, Lady Edith Hastings. The church is early English; has, at different times, been partly rebuilt; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. A very old chapel is in Snibston; and there are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a free school, and charities £59.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Ashby de la Zouch
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Leicester
Rural Deanery: Akeley
Poor Law Union: Ashby de la Zouch
Hundred: Repton and Gresley