Osmaston by Ashbourne is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1849 from chapelry in Brailsford Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Osmaston
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1606
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
- Ashbourne with Mapleton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OSMASTON, a village and a parish in Ashborne district, Derby. The village stands on an eminence, 2¼ miles SE by S of Ashborne r. station; was formerly called Osmaston-in-the-Wood; and has a post-office under Ashborne. The parish comprises 1,254 acres. Real property, £2,517. Pop. in 1851, 366; in 1861, 289. Houses, 57. The decrease of pop. arose from temporary circumstances connected with the Manor Hall. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to F. Wright, Esq. O. Manor Hall is Mr. W. 's seat, and was built in 1851. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £200. Patron, F. Wright, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1845; is in the decorated English style; and consists of nave and aisles, with vestry and tower. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Ashbourne
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Radbourne
Poor Law Union: Ashbourne