Morton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1575
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1669
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
- North Wingfield
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MORTON, a township and a parish in Chesterfield district, Derby. The township lies ½ a mile WNW of Doehill r. station, 1 SE of Stretton r. station, and 2¾ N ofThe parish contains also the township of Brackenfield; and its Post town is Alfreton. Acres, 2,800. Real property, £4,895; of which £15 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 656; in 1861, 911. Houses, 177. The property is divided among a few. Ogston Hall is the seat of G. Turbutt, Esq. Upwards of 1,000 acres were recently leased by a company for the working of coal and other minerals. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Valne, £460. Patron, alternately St. John's College, Cambridge, and G. Turbutt, Esq. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1850; is in the decorated English style; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with pinnacled tower; and contains monument's to the Turbutts. The p. cnracy of Brackenfield is a separate benefice. A Primitive Methodist chapel and a national school are in Brackenfield; and a recently erected school is in Morton. Alfreton. Real property, £1,397. Pop. in 1851, 257; in 1861, 594. Houses, 100. The increase of pop. arose from the temporary presence of labourers on railway works.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Derbyshire parish registers. Marriages
by Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews, ed
Morton Derbyshire Marriages 1575 to 1812 - Archive.org
Morton Derbyshire Marriages 1575 to 1812 - UK Genealogy Archives
Civil Registration District: Chesterfield
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Alfreton
Poor Law Union: Chesterfield