Monyash is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1744 from chapelry in Bakewell Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1754
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1672
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Society of Friends/Quaker.
- Earl Sterndale
- Middleton and Smerrill
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MONYASH, a village and a township-chapelry in Bakewell parish, Derby. The village stands in a hollow, at the head of the river Lathkill, 1½ mile E of the Cromford and High Peak railway, and 5 WSW of Bakewell r. station; was, at Domesday, a penal settlement for refactory monks; was afterwards a market-town; and is now a seat of half-yearly Barmoot courts, for matters relating to lead mines in the hundred of High Peak. The chapelry comprises 3,840 acres. Post town, Bakewell. Real property, £3,278; of which £20 are in quarries. Pop., 460. Houses, 94. The manor belongs to W. and J. Finney, Esqs. The land lies chiefly on limestone, and has a bleak appearance. The living a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £123. Patron, the Vicar of Bakewell. The church is old, and consists of nave and aisles, with tower and octagonal spire. There are chapels for Quakers and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £11.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Bakewell
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield
Rural Deanery: Bakewell
Poor Law Union: Bakewell
Hundred: High Peake