Middleton by Wirksworth is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1841 from Wirksworth Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Ivonbrook Grange, Ible, Grange Mill, and Hopton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1847
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1838
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MIDDLETON-BY-WIRKSWORTH, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Wirksworth parish, Derby. The village stands 1 mile NW by N of Wirksworth r. station, and 2 WSW of Cromford; is a considerable place; and has a post office under Wirksworth. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Real property, £2,129; of which £252 are in quarries, and £34 in mines. Pop., 964. Houses, 221. Ash-Hill is the seat of W. Wheatcroft, Esq. Excellent marble is quarried, and lead ore is mined. The chapelry includes also Ible, Griff-Grange, Ivonbrook-Grange, and parts of Wirksworth, Cromford and Hopton townships; and was constituted in 1847. Pop., 1,133. Houses, 259. Most of Griff-Grange belongs to the trustees of the late P. Gell, Esq.; and all Ivonbrook Grange belongs to Lord Scarsdale. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Wirksworth. The church was built in 1839 at a cost of £1,200; and contains 413 sittings. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, and a neat new school, in M. township; a chapel for Primitive Methodists in Ible township; and a school church in Ivonbrook-Grange. Charities, £25.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Derbyshire
- Civil Registration District: Ashbourne
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Wirksworth
- Poor Law Union: Ashbourne
- Hundred: Wirksworth
- Province: Canterbury