Middleton and Smerrill is a chapelry of Youlgreave Ancient Parish in Derbyshire.
Other places in the parish include: Smerrill and Smerril.
Alternative names: Middleton, Middleton by Youlgreave
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Earl Sterndale
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MIDDLETON, a township, conjoint with Smerril, in Youlgreave parish, Derby; 5 miles SSW of Bakewell. Acres, 2,300. Real property, £3,115. Pop., 244. Houses, 50. Lombardale Hall is the seat of the Batemans; and was the residence of the late T. Bateman, Esq., who investigated the antiquities of the county, and formed a large museum. Arborlowes Ring is a complete Druidical circle; and there are many barrows, in which Celtic relics have been found. A chapel of ease was built in 1865; and there is a dissenting chapel, built by the late T. Bateman, Esq.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Bakewell
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Bakewell
Poor Law Union: Bakewell