Mellor is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1737 from chapelry in Glossop Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Mellor and Beard
Other places in the parish include: Ludworth and Chisworth and No Man's Land.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1624
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Roman Catholic.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MELLOR, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Glossop parish, Derby. The village stands near the river Goyt at the boundary with Cheshire, 1¼ mile ESE of Marple-Bridge r. station, and 6 E by S of Stockport; and has a post office under Stockport. The township comprises 2,352 acres. Real property, £6,947; of which £120 are in mines. Pop., 1,733. Houses, 341. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1838. Pop., 3,373. Houses, 687. The property is much subdivided. There are cotton mills, bleaching works, and collieries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £123. Patron, the Rev. T. M. Freeman. The church stands on a commanding site, with extensive views; and is a very plain building, with an old tower. There are chapels for Independents, Primitive Methodists, United Free Methodists, and Roman Catholics, and an endowed school with £25 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Mellor Derbyshire Marriages 1678-1775 - UK Genealogy Archives
Parish Records - FamilySearch
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Hayfield
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Castleton
Poor Law Union: Hayfield
Hundred: High Peake