Marston upon Dove is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Other places in the parish include: Hoon, Hilton with Hargate Manor, Hilton, and Hatton.
Alternative names: Marston on Dove
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1654
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Church Broughton
- Sutton on the Hill
- Hargate Manor
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MARSTON-UPON-DOVE, a township and a parish in the district of Burton-upon-Trent and county of Derby. The township lies on the river Dove at the boundary with Stafford, and on the North Staffordshire railway, 1 mile WNW of Tutbury-Junction r. station, 3¼ WNW of Ryknield-street, and 5 NNW of Burton-upon-Trent. Real property, £2,070. Pop., 103. Houses, 16. The parish contains also the townships of Hoon, Hatton, and Hilton; the last of which has a post office under Derby. Acres, 4,775. Real property, £8,898. Pop., 1,211. Houses, 268. The property is subdivided. The manors of Marston and Hoon belong to the Duke of Devonshire, and that of Hilton belongs to the Executors of the late W. E. Mousley, Esq. Hilton Cottage is the seat of J. H. Mousley, Esq. The Wakelyn is an ancient, gabled, curiously ornamented, half-timber mansion. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £200. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is early English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and lofty spire; and contains a fine Norman font. There are, in Hilton, chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and an endowed school with £30 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Burton upon Trent
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Radbourne
Poor Law Union: Burton upon Trent