Longford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Other places in the parish include: Hungry Bentley, Longford with Nether Thurvaston, Rodsley, and Hollington.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LONGFORD, a township and a parish in Ashborne district, Derby. The township lies on an affluent of the river Dove, 5¾ miles SSE of Ashborne r. station; and has a post office under Derby. Real property, £5,312. Pop., 500. Houses, 95. The parish contains also the townships of Hollington, Rodsley, and Alkmonton, and the liberty of Hungry-Bentley. Acres, 3,920. Real property, £10,418. Pop., 1,157. Houses, 228. The property is not much divided. The manors of Longford, Hollington, and Rodsley belong to the Hon. E. K. W. Coke; and that of Hungry-Bentley belongs to Lord Vernon. Longford Hall is the seat of the Hon. E. K. W. Coke. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £700. Patron, W. Evans, Esq. The church is partly Norman; was restored in 1843; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains monuments to the Coke family. The vicarage of Alkmouton is a separate benefice. There was once a chapel in Hungry-Bentley. There are a national school in Longford township; a Primitive Methodist chapel in Hollington; Wesleyan chapels in Rodsley and in Thurvaston; a national school for boys and girls, an endowed school, with £40 a year, and alms houses with £55, founded by the Coke family.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Longford Derbyshire Marriages 1537-1837 - UK Genealogy Archives
Parish Records - FamilySearch
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Ashbourne
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Cubley
Poor Law Union: Ashbourne