Kniveton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1591
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1675
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Bradbourne with Ballidon
- Fenny Bentley
- Ashbourne with Mapleton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KNIVETON, a parish, with a village, in Ashborne district, Derby; 3 miles NE of Ashborne r. station. Post town, Ashborne. Acres, 2,240. Real property, £3,683. Pop., 315. Houses, 73. Most of the land is. rich pasture. Here are a cotton mill and lime works. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, Value, £64. Patron, John Harrison, Esq. The church is ancient; and has a good Norman door, and a low tower and spire. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a free school, and charities £11.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Ashbourne
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield
Rural Deanery: Ashbourne
Poor Law Union: Ashbourne