Holbrook is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1811 from chapelry in Duffield Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Holbrooke
Other places in the parish include: Coxbench, Day Park, Holbrook Moor, and Bargate.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1834
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1833
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HOLBROOK, a village and a chapelry in Duffield parish, Derby. The village stands near Coxbench r. station, 2½ miles SSE of Belper; and has a post office under Derby. The chapelry includes also Holbrook Moor, Bargate, Day Park, and part of Coxbench. Acres, 850. Real property, £2,128. Pop., 956. Houses, 205. The property is subdivided. Holbrook Hall is the residence of the Rev. William Leeke, and commands fine views. Coxbench Hall is the seat of Charles Sanders, Esq. Stone is largely quarried; and grind stones and scythe stones are dressed. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £157. Patron, T. W. Evans, Esq. The church was built in 1761, and rebuilt in 1841: and is a neat plain edifice, without a tower. There are chapels for Independents and Methodists, and charity schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Parish Records – FamilySearch
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Belper
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Duffield
Poor Law Union: Belper