Hognaston is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created early from chapelry in Ashbourne with Mapleton Ecclesiastical Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1661
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1673
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Primitive Methodist.
- Kirk Ireton
- Bradbourne with Ballidon
- Ashbourne with Mapleton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HOGNASTON, a parish, with a village, in Ashborne district, Derby; on an affluent of the river Dove, 5 miles NE of Ashborne r. station. Post town, Ashborne. Acres, 1,384. Real property, £2,883. Pop., 295. Houses, 68. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to H. Chandos Pole Gell, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £58. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is very ancient; has a fine Saxon arch, and a square tower; and was recently in bad condition. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Ashbourne
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Wirksworth
Poor Law Union: Ashbourne