Heage is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1784 from chapelry in Duffield Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: High Edge
Other places in the parish include: Boothgate, Nether Heage, Cackleton, Toadmoor, Black Horse, and Ambergate.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1819
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1819
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HEAGE, or High-Edge, a village and a chapelry in Duffield parish, Derby. The village stands near the river Derwent, the Cromford canal, and the Midland railway, 1½ mile SE of Ambergate r. station, and 2½ NNE of Belper; and has a post office, of the name of Heage, under Belper. The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Nether Heage, Cackleton, Toadmoor, Ambergate, Black-Horse, and Boothgate. Real property, £6,137. Pop., 2,286. Houses, 475. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Francis Hurt, Esq. Iron works are at Morley-Park: marble and stone works are near Buckland Hollow; and edged tools are made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £180. Patron, the Vicar of Duffield. The church is ancient, and was repaired and enlarged in 1836. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Free Methodists, a national school, an endowed school, with £28, and other charities, with £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Parish Records - FamilySearch
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Belper
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Duffield
Poor Law Union: Belper