Hathersage Derbyshire Family History Guide

Hathersage is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire. 

Other places in the parish include: Bamford Moor, Outseats, Stoke, and Bamford. 

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1627
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662

Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HATHERSAGE, a village and a township in Bakewell district, and a parish partly also in Chapel-en-le-Frith district, Derby. The village stands on the river Derwent, in the midst of a mountainous tract, 2 miles S of the boundary with Yorkshire, and 10 N of Bakewell r. station; and has a post office under Sheffield, and a fair on the Friday after Old-Michaelmas day. The township includes the village, and extends far into the county. Pop., in 1851, 832; in 1861, 990. Houses, 197. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of wire drawing and needle manufacture, and the introduction of the manufacture of umbrella frames. Other articles akin to needles are made; and likewise millstones. A Danish camp is supposed to have been at Camp-Green, near the village. The parish contains also the chapelry of Stoney-Middleton, and the townships of Outseats, Bamford, and Derwent. Acres, 13,630. Real property, £10,421. Pop., in 1851, 2,106; in 1861, 2,391. Houses, 490. The property is much subdivided. Longshaw is a shooting box of the Duke of Rutland. Hathersage Hall was the seat of the Shuttleworths. Rocking stones are on the moors. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £180. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is later English; was well restored in 1851; consists of nave, chancel, aisles, and Lady chapel, with tower and handsome spire; and contains an ancient tomb of the Eyres. A spot in the churchyard was said to be the grave of Little John, the companion of Robin Hood; and is now marked by two upright stones, 9 feet apart; and remains of a human body were long ago exhumed from it, in a state of petrifaction. The chapelries of Stoney-Middleton, Bamford, and Derwent, are separate benefices. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, and charities £72.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

England, Derbyshire, Church of England Parish Registers, 1537-1918

Parish Records - FamilySearch

FamilySearch Catalog - Free


England and Wales Census, 1841

England and Wales Census, 1851

England and Wales Census, 1861

England and Wales Census, 1871

England and Wales Census, 1881

England and Wales Census, 1891

England and Wales Census, 1901

England and Wales Census, 1911

Records for England

Births and Baptism Records

England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Great Britain, Births and Baptisms, 1571-1977

England and Wales Birth Registration Index, 1837-2008

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

Marriage Records

England Marriages, 1538–1973

Great Britain Marriages, 1797-1988

England and Wales Marriage Registration Index, 1837-2005

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

Death Records

England Death Records, 1998-2015

England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991

Great Britain Deaths and Burials, 1778-1988

England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

England and Wales, National Index of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1957

England and Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1640-1660

Non-Conformist Records

England and Wales Non-Conformist Record Indexes (RG4-8), 1588-1977


United Kingdom, Merchant Navy Seamen Records, 1835-1941

War and Conflict

Great Britain, War Office Registers, 1772-1935

United Kingdom, Chelsea Pensioners' Service Records, 1760-1913

United Kingdom, Royal Hospital Chelsea: Discharge Documents of Pensioners 1760-1887 (WO 122)

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

United Kingdom, Militia Service Records, 1806-1915

United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920

United Kingdom, World War I Women's Army Auxiliary Corps Records, 1917-1920

Newspaper Archives

British Newspaper Archive, Family Notices

British Newspaper Archives, Obituaries


County: Derbyshire
Civil Registration District: Bakewell
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Lichfield
Rural Deanery: Eyam
Poor Law Union: Bakewell
Hundred: High Peake
Province: Canterbury