Hartshorne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Alternative names: Hartshorn
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1594
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1673
Nonconformists include: General Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- The Boundary
- Ashby de la Zouch Holy Trinity, Leicestershire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HARTSHORN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and county of Derby. The village stands 3 miles W of the boundary with Leicestershire, and 3½ NW of Ashby-de-le-Zouch r. station: and has a post office under Burton-upon-Trent. The parish comprises 2,510 acres. Real property, £6,618. Pop. in 1851, 1,350; in 1861, 1,541. Houses, 315. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of coal mining and pottery manufacture. The property is divided among a few. An old manor House is occupied by Mrs. Mansfield. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £540. Patrons, the Earl of Chesterfield and Nadin, Esq. The church is ancient, with a tower; and was partly re-built in 1835. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £77, other charities with £13, a handsome new girls' school, mainly supported by the rector. The sub-district contains also three other parishes, parts of two more, and an extra-parochial tract in Derbyshire, and parts of three parishes in Leicestershire. Acres, 14,007. Pop., 6,207. Houses, 1,319.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Parish Records - FamilySearch
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Ashby de la Zouch
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Hartshorn
Poor Law Union: Ashby de la Zouch
Hundred: Repton and Gresley