Elvaston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Alternative names: Elvaston cum Thurlston and Ambaston
Other places in the parish include: Ambaston and Thurlston.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1651
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ELVASTON, a parish in Shardlow district, Derbyshire; on the river Derwent, adjacent to the Derby canal, and the Derby and Leicester railway, near Borrowash r. station, and 4½ miles SE by E of Derby. Post town, Alvaston, under Derby. Acres, 2,760. Real property, £5,700. Pop., 499. Houses, 114. The manor belonged to the Blunts and the Poles; and passed to the Stanhopes. Elvaston Castle is the seat of the Earl of Harrington. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £350. Patron, the Earl of Harrington. The church is ancient; has a pinnacled tower; and contains monuments of the Stanhopes. Charities, £148.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Derbyshire parish registers. Marriages
by Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews, ed
Elvaston Derbyshire Marriages 1651 to 1837 – Archive.org
Elvaston Derbyshire Marriages 1651 to 1837 – UK Genealogy Archives
Parish Records – FamilySearch
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Shardlow
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Stanton by Bridge
Poor Law Union: Shardlow
Hundred: Morleston and Litchurch