Egginton Derbyshire Family History Guide

Egginton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1561
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1673

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

  • Newton Solney
  • Rolleston
  • Marston upon Dove
  • Repton
  • Etwall
  • Hargate Manor
  • Burton upon Trent Holy Trinity
  • Willington

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

EGGINTON, a village and a parish in the district of Burton-upon-Trent, and county of Derby. The village stands on the verge of the county, near Icknield-street and the river Dove, adjacent to the Grand Trunk canal and to the Birmingham and Derby railway, 4 miles NNE of Burton-upon-Trent; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Burton-upon-Trent. It was known at Domesday as Eghintune. The parish comprises 2,289 acres. Real property, £5,107; of which £20 are in fisheries. Pop., 355. Houses, 76. The property is divided among a few. Egginton Hall is the seat of Sir H. Every, Bart. The parish was the scene of a defeat of the Royalists, in 1644, by Sir J. Gell. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £453. Patrons, Sir H. Every, Bart, Pole, Esq., and J. Leigh, Esq. The church is old but good; and there are charities £112.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

England, Derbyshire, Church of England Parish Registers, 1537-1918

Administration

County: Derbyshire
Civil Registration District: Burton upon Trent
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Lichfield
Rural Deanery: Radbourne
Poor Law Union: Burton upon Trent
Hundred: Morleston and Litchurch
Province: Canterbury